Wimbledon 2015: Champion Petra Kvitova Beats Kiki Bertens

. . No comments:
Petra Kvitova began her Wimbledon title defence with a swift straight-set win over Dutch player Kiki Bertens.

The Czech second seed opened the second day's play on Centre Court, as is traditional for the women's champion, and won 6-1 6-0 in 35 minutes.

Romanian third seed Simona Halep plays Slovakian Jana Cepelova later, and Danish fifth seed Caroline Wozniacki takes on China's Saisai Zheng.

"It was a great feeling returning to Wimbledon," said Kvitova, 24.

"I was very nervous but when I was standing on the court, the people were clapping, the atmosphere was brilliant.

"I am really glad how I played as well. Nerves are important, they are healthy. I like them. I was sick a few days ago but still played very well."

Kvitova dropped just one point on serve, with a double fault, in the whole match and goes on to face Japan's Kurumi Nara or Magda Linette of Poland.

"There are so many great opponents here so I still have to focus on myself, that's the most important thing," she added.

Germany's Angelique Kerber became the third player to win without dropping a game at this year's tournament, beating compatriot Carina Witthoeft 6-0 6-0.

The 10th seed won the Aegon Classic in Birmingham earlier this month and matched the Monday victories of Venus Williams and Andrea Petkovic.

Before this year's championships there had not been a 6-0 6-0 or 'double bagel' in the women's singles event for six years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular News

Archives

Topics

Archive

Recent News

Visitors