Medical Treatment: Costly Medicines And Exorbitant Fee Just Fleecing Patients

. . No comments:

Ever-growing World pharmaceutical industry is the 20th and 21st centuries' biggest exploiter, out to fleece mankind under the garb of medicines. Among all the medicine systems in the world, Allopathic medicine has the largest share. The pharma revenues worldwide were nearly 1.25 trillion U.S. dollars in 2019. India's domestic pharmaceutical market turnover reached Rs 1.4 lakh crore (US$ 20.03 billion) in 2019.

However, there is universal truth that more and more new medicines come in the market, the number of patients too grow. Look at the data: the number of people with diabetes rose from 108 million in 1980 to 422 million in 2014. The global prevalence of diabetes* among adults over 18 years of age rose from 4.7% in 1980 to 8.5% .Between 2000 and 2016, there was a 5% increase in premature mortality from diabetes. Heart failure (HF) is a global pandemic affecting at least 26 million people worldwide and is ever increasing despite easy accessibility to high-tech treatment.

The number of deaths from Cardiovascular disease in India has risen from 2.26 million in 1990) to 4.77 million in 2020. Coronary heart disease prevalence rates in India have ranged from 1.6% to 7.4% in rural populations and from 1% to 13.2% in urban populations .

Having regard to these statistics, we are driven to agree with renowned cardiologist Dr. B.M. Hegde that ,"You don’t have to run to the hospital for every ailment.” “Not even for blocks in your heart” . “Blocks in arteries are common,” he points out.

Dr. Hedge have busted several myths about cardiac ailments and what defines good health. "Squeezing a wedge of lemon into a glass of warm water, is the best medicine for an acidic stomach, says eminent cardiologist. Dr B. M. Hegde (born 18 August 1938) is a cardiologist, professional educator and author. He is the former Vice Chancellor of Manipal University, Co-Chairman of the TAG-VHS Diabetes Research Centre, Chennai and the chairman of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mangalore.

From my personal experience with doctors, I am led to believe that medical and education have grown up unto themselves as the biggest money minting industries. They are no more a missionary service. Profit is the sole driving force seen even in once considered as most nobel medical profession.

Look at the past and present scenario. During my childhood, when I used to fall sick, the doctor posted in govt hospital, some 9 km away from my village, would come on call even travelling the distance on foot. Himachal was then a union territory and most of the doctors were from outside.The doctor post at Suni dispensary at that time was, indeed a missionary from West Bengal. Despite a meager salary, he would spend even out of his pocket. That was the spirit. Today, doctors getting fat salary aren't of that missionary spirit. I still believe, medical and education have had to be missionary.

The private sector doctors are out to fleece patients instead of treating them. A few years back, I was admitted for gallbladder stone operation in a private hospital in Mohali. As I was having company medical insurance with 2 lakh limit, the hospital wanted to cash this facility fully and when I was to be operated upon, I was shocked to be informed that my hemoglobin ( Hgb) was very low as I had internal bleeding and needed endoscopy. We went for another check outside the hospital and my Hgb was perfectly alright. The hospital just was out to fleece me. We left the hospital highly disappointed.

An ophthalmologist having hospital in Sector 36 Chandigarh recently charged me more than Rs. 40,000 for injecting an medicine for the treatment of my eye. After injecting one dose, he told me that I needed to repeat the injection in next two month. And finally he told me, injection won't be effective until sugar is controlled. I am type two diabetic.

A orthopedic doctor running a private hospital in Panchkula fleeced me for more than Rs 80,000 for the treatment of injured ankle of my wife. Even after spending the amount, he couldn't treat the ankle and I had go to Sector 16 general hospital.

The doctor treating me sugar is more interested in getting me tested for funduscopy and putting me under dietitian besides repeated tests than treating my sugar.

I am so sick of all these fleecing tactics that I don't want to visit doctors anymore. Have lost faith. And the ever-unceasing cost of medicines have further dampened my spirit. The cost of medicines have more than trebled in the last 10 years or so. A common met forming sugar medicine costing some Rs.5 a tablet ten years ago is now costing more than 15 a tablet. So is the common eye medicine costing Rs. 60 ten years ago now being sold at around Rs. 195. So are other medicines. Every quarter or so cost of the medicine is sky-rocketing. There is no end to it.

Undoubtedly, the modern medical treatment is just a source of money-minting not a means for the permanent cure. Costly treatment and medicines only aggravate your ailment either with side effects or medicines getting ineffective after regular two-three years of use.
So, its better to leave it to mother Nature as it protects everything it creates including diabetes- a lifestyle disorder. Improve your lifestyle, you will be fit and healthy.
Jai Shri Ram

(Chander Sharma)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular News

Archives

Topics

Archive

Recent News

Visitors